Research Summit - Onsite in Denver
AI and Business Communication Research Summit
Wednesday, October 25, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Registration - $50
This summit will bring together business communication instructors who want to learn about and research the intersection of AI and business communication. The day will include mini-presentations and working groups based on participant interests.
The goal of this special daylong session is to connect ABC members on projects they will continue to work on over the next six months to one year. Ideally, these projects will result in formal research and writing.
Tentatively, the following topics will be included as working group options; participants will be invited to join two of the research streams:
- AI-assisted writing
- AI and interpersonal/group communication
- AI and ethics
- AI as a research tool
- Pedagogy for AI and business communication
Overview of Summit Activities
- Introductions to each research theme.
- Participants join working groups of 5 to 15 people and work collaboratively (in Google Docs and other platforms) to build out agendas and next steps. They will have the opportunity to choose two working groups.
- Short research pitches: Summit participants may submit research ideas for AI and business communication research. Individuals will be placed in small groups in which they briefly share their ideas and then receive feedback about how to develop and execute them.
- 8:30 to 10:00 a.m. - Summit opening and introductions to research themes
- 10:00 to 10:15 a.m. - Break
- 10:15 to 11:45 a.m. – AI in the Workplace (You will be able to choose from several working groups)
- 11:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Lunch (on your own)
- 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. - Research pitches
- 2:00 to 2:15 p.m. - Break
- 2:15 to 3:45 p.m. - AI Literacy and Pedagogy (You will be able to choose from several working groups)
- 3:45 to 4:00 p.m. - Break
- 4:00 to 4:30 p.m. - Closing Remarks and Next Steps
- Peter Cardon, chair
- Abram Anders
- Jolanta Aritz
- Stephen Carradini
- Carolin Fleischmann
- Kristen Getchell
- Jeanette Heidewald
- Minna Logemann
- A.J. Ogilvie
- James Stapp
A one-hour pre-summit Zoom session will be held in August (specific date TBD.) This preparatory meeting will include a summary of the latest research on generative AI and business communication, and an introduction to the summit that will take place in Denver on Wednesday, October 25. Participation is onsite only.
Who Should Attend This Event?
Anyone interested in learning and researching about AI and business communication as part of a larger community. We will form working groups to learn together and publish our findings in symposia, conferences, media articles, journal publications, and elsewhere. You do not need to be a “researcher” to contribute. All you need is curiosity and a sense of adventure. We’re all on an AI journey now. Let’s take the journey together in a way that is methodical, experimental, and constructive. Along the way, we’ll become partners and friends.
For any questions, please contact Peter Cardon at email@example.com.