ABC's Diversity and Inclusion Committee is an active one. Its members are dedicated to recognizing the broad spectrum of D&I teaching and practice that ABC and its members are doing. They are also passionate about encouraging and inspiring ABC and its members to do even more - to integrate D&I into all that they do.
To this end, the D&I Committee has implemented a number of initiatives. Two of the more notable
The D&I lightning roundtables kicked off in 2015 and have grown steadily ever since. Participants have three minutes each to share a D&I best practice or favorite assignment. The sessions are fast-paced, inspiring and amazing. People leave filled with ideas and energy.
The Distinction in the Practice of Diversity and Inclusion Award was launched in 2016. It honors work outside the classroom, engaging a community that would be deemed non-dominant. This is work that creates partnerships to effect positive social change, whether the change is on an individualized level or on a broader, system-wide, policy level - or a synergistic blend.
- Continue the panel discussion/teaching roundtable on diversity and inclusion issues for the 2018 annual conference.
- Work to help ABC leaders and members understand, expand, articulate, apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate our ideas and efforts -- individually, as teachers and practitioners, and as an organization -- related to diversity and inclusion.
- Solicit nominations, review applications and choose a winner for the Distinction in the Practice of Diversity and Inclusion Award.
- Contribute to the ABC Newsletter through a column about “Best Practices for Diversity and Inclusion.”
- Create a student “Diversity and Inclusion Student Contest” proposal for Board approval.
- Recommend new charges for the following year.
Post September1 annual report on your community forum site and email copy to First Vice President.
We have lots more ideas that we plan to implement. But we're always looking for more thoughts and suggestions for how we can better serve ABC and its members while helping them be their best. We're also always looking for more members to join us.
If you have questions, ideas, suggestions, or would like to learn more about us and our work, please contact our committee chair.
The Community Page for this committee is for members and links to the committee's forums and file library.
Committee Members 2018
|Name||End of 3-Year Term (Renewable)|
|W. Christopher Brown||12/31/2019|
|Jacquelyn Lowman, Chair||12/31/2019|