The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee:
1. Organizes a panel discussion/teaching roundtable on diversity, equity and inclusion issues for the annual conference.
2. Works to help ABC leaders and members understand, expand, articulate, apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate our ideas and efforts -- individually, as teachers and practitioners, and as an organization -- related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
3. Solicits nominations, reviews applications and chooses a winner for the Distinction in the Practice of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award and ensures the winner is publicized on the ABC website and in the ABC newsletter.
4. Crafts a detailed proposal with thoughtful language in which we honor and acknowledge the current inhabitants and ancestors of the local populations of the host communities in which we have our conferences.
5. Ensures that ABC meets the needs of historically under-represented groups in the profession.
6. Reviews the position of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Coordinator as consultant to the Executive Committee and makes recommendations to the Executive Committee.
7. Works with DEI Coordinator to assist Conference Planning Committee in choosing sites.
8. Reviews the description, criteria, promotion, and intended impact of the Distinction in the Practice of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award.
9. Requests committee members additions/drops by first logging into ABC and then completing the Committee Update Request form at: http://tinyurl.com/CommitteeUpdateRequest.
Committee Chair 2023
|End of 3-Year Term
|W. Christopher Brown||12/31/2025|
Members of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee can access the committee’s forum and file library on their Community Page.