85th Annual International Conference
October 28 to 31, 2020
San Diego, California, USA
- Lodging & Venue
- Call for Papers
- Silent Auction
- Expected Schedule
- Travel & Transit Tips
- Conference Forum
- Conference Contacts
Enjoy this promotional video from San Diego. Explore this Point Loma video "Where Inspiration Sets Sail." National Geographic promotes San Diego in this video World's Smart Cities. videos courtesy of San Diego Tourism Authority
Photograph of Balboa Park fountain courtesy of San Diego Tourism Authority
If you are using a screen reader and need additional assistance, please contact email@example.com.
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, 1380 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego, California 92101
Rates: Single/Double $189 (plus 13.3% tax; subject to change). Includes guest room internet.
At check-in the optional $26 resort charge (plus tax) covers:
- Local & domestic phone calls from the guestroom (rates vary)
- 1-hour of bicycle or non-motorized water sports rentals, including kayaks, paddle boards and pedal boats offered through SD Adventures. See standard rates at https://www.sdadventures.com/
- 1-hour tennis court rental with equipment for 2
- Daily yoga class
- Daily food & beverage credit of $10
- Internet access ($12.95 per day). (ABC room block lodging includes internet in lodging room.)
Click to learn about the hotel's courtesy airport shuttle.
Theme: Strengthening B-comm in an era where perception is reality.
Click for Call for Papers (downloadable pdf.)
Sponsored sessions are accepting submissions.
Want to participate in sponsored sessions?
How Do You Teach Diversity? with Jacqui Lowman - Click for details and submission link.
My Favorite Assignment with D. Joel Whalen - Click for details and submission link.
Business Practices Committee panel with Sam DeKay (due May 7) - Click for details.
Graduate Studies Panel with Stephen Carradini - Click for details.
Final proposals (panel, poster, regular) CLOSED
Workshop proposals CLOSED
Roundtable proposals CLOSED
Click for submission guidelines.
Note: All submissions will be double-blind reviewed with opportunity to share your 500 to 1000 word extended abstract in Conference Proceedings. Learn more about Volunteer Reviewer here and sign up to review proposals. As of May 26, all proposals have been assigned reviewers.
We especially invite business communication proposals that address topics including:
- Adaptation: keeping up with communication trends for greater student preparedness
- Digital/Cloud: understanding conversational platforms, immersive experiences, and privacy and ethics issues
- Strategy: putting purpose first to improve effectiveness and overcome “noise” or “over-communication”
- Technologies: probing the influence of Artificial Intelligence (AI), voice recognition, and other innovations
- Tools: harnessing the power of social media, apps, and data/info visualization
- Visuals: transmitting information and ideas using symbols and imagery
Consulting, Research, Teaching
- Communication Issues in Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
- Consulting and Training
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Employment Issues in Business Communication
- Executive, Managerial, and MBA Communication
- Innovative Instructional Methods
- Intercultural and Global Communication
- Interpersonal and Non-Verbal Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Social Responsibility, Civic Engagement, Sustainability, and Business Ethics
- Technology, Digital Communication, Social Media, and Web 2.0
- Visual Communication
This year's conference gives the opportunity to share your 500 to 1000 word extended abstract in the Conference Proceedings, citation ISSN 2472-0658. Your permission will be requested on the submission form.
Early bird member rate $350
Non-member rate and other details will be announced at later date.
Registration opens by June 2020.
First Time Attendee Tips
- Stay at the conference lodging. If you want a roommate, consider posting on the private ABC Facebook page and/or post on the conference forum (opening in August).
- Arrive a few hours early to settle in comfortably; stay for the entire conference.
- Volunteer at the registration desk and meet new people.
- Attend the First Time Attendee breakfast and hear from the ABC President and ABC Executive Director.
- Participate in a workshop or pre- or post-conference excursion to make even more connections.
- Take care of yourself. Consider participating in ABC Fresh Start with gentle stretching and meditation. Make good choices; allow time to process your thoughts and take time for a bit of quiet each day. Enjoy fresh air and exercise. Get enough sleep.
- If you need a friend or mentor, look for someone wearing an ABC Ambassador button or visit ABC Connect; you will discover seasoned ABC members who are happy to "show you the ropes."
Check back in June to learn of the pre-conference workshops.
Wednesday, October 28
Networking and Community Building Reception
Thursday, October 29
Opening Plenary - ABC President and ABC Second Vice President
Friday, October 30
Awards Banquet - The evening will have awards presentations by our Executive Director with time for conversation and socializing.
Saturday, October 31
Sessions conclude by noon
If travelling via plane, you are required to present a REAL ID compliant driver's license or a valid passport (or other approved ID) to board a domestic flight. This federal requirement is effective October 1.
Train or trolley and area transit? Click here to learn more.
Click here to learn of top area attractions.
Join us for picture-perfect fun. Check back later for details.