2023 ABC Annual International Conference
Proposal Submission Guidelines
Submissions Accepted: January 27 – April 3, 2023
Scholars and practitioners are invited to submit a virtual or in-person proposal for inclusion in the 2023 ABC 88th Annual International Conference. All proposals will be peer-reviewed, and approval notices will be sent by mid-July.
Submitters are asked to select a conference track for their presentation. Selection of a particular track does not influence the selection process.
|Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
|Ethics and Social Responsibility
|Rhetoric and Composition
|Executive Education and Graduate Studies
|Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
|Future of Business Communication
|Social Media and Virtual Communication
|Innovative Instructional Methods
|Visualization of Data and Information
|Intercultural and Global Communication
|Workplace and Organizational Communication
Regular Presentation (20 minutes)
▪ Presenter(s) will speak for a maximum of 20 minutes (including time for audience questions) on their proposed topic.
▪ Based on proposed topic, conference chairs will group three regular presentations into one 60-minute session.
Panel (60 minutes)
▪ Three or more presenters will deliver a 60-minute session.
▪ Panelists should plan and manage time allotment for individual panel presenters.
Workshop (2-3 hours)
▪ Facilitators will provide a highly interactive, themed session of 2-3 hours for conference attendees.
▪ Workshops should provide participants with new approaches to teaching, research or consulting.
My Favorite Assignment; How do you Teach Diversity, Equity and Inclusion?; Research Roundtable (Presentation time varies)
▪ A separate call for proposals will be made for these sessions. Look for future emails from ABC for these
▪ Select virtual or in-person presentation.
▪ Select conference track that best fits your selected topic.
▪ Create a short abstract for the conference program of no more than 60 words.
▪ Provide an extended abstract of no more than 750 words that includes the proposal’s purpose, goals,
methodology, and outcomes. (Reviewers assess this abstract to determine proposal quality and inclusion in the conference program.)
Membership and Guest Information
Presenters must be either an ABC member or an organization guest. A presenter or co-presenter can create a guest account (no member benefits) by visiting the ABC membership page; guest presenters must establish this account prior to submission. Contact ABC for assistance.
- Register to be an ABC Member or Guest by visiting the ABC membership page before submitting your presentation.
- Secure permission to include co-presenters in your presentation before submitting a group proposal.
- Inform co-presenters that they must pay to register, attend, and present at the conference once the submission is approved.
If your co-presenter(s) cannot attend the conference, please list these individuals as co-authors.
- Submit only one submission per category (individual, panel, workshop). Be sure to include all presenters’ names.
- Register for the conference.
We encourage you to submit your extended abstract for possible publication in the citable Conference Proceedings (ISSN 2472-0658). When submitting your proposal, indicate your conference proceedings preference by responding yes or no to the following:
"I grant the Association for Business Communication permission to display my extended abstract (proposal) publicly. Should I choose to revoke this permission, I understand I may do so by contacting ABC or another such contact as directed by the Association for Business Communication."
Ready to Submit
When you are ready to submit, first log in to ABC and then submit here. (Submissions are closed; link is disabled.)
If you have questions about submitting your work for possible virtual or in-person presentation at this year’s annual conference, contact conference chairs at ABCconference@businesscommunication.org