Area Attractions and Food Tips
- Riverwalk in Tampa Heights, is a 2.7 mile path next to the Hillsborough River. Find water taxis (rather costly), sidewalk art & monuments, a Seminole Indian memorial, eateries, and plenty of sights including a pirate ship. At the Riverwalk terminus, Armature Works hosts an innovative food hall where you can order food and sit outside, along with full service, sit down restaurants (reservations recommended.)
- Florida Aquarium focuses on education and conservation. Touch a jelly fish, learn about their successful coral spawning program, and relax with great water views. Walk a block for a great lunch discovery at Publix's newly-opened GreenWise Market with a sushi station, fresh fired pizzas, a build your own bowl station, a massive salad bar, a full deli, and plenty of grab-and-go (or sit there).
- Henry Plant Museum is in a stunning former Victorian railroad resort (now part of University of Tampa). Their exhibit Stop the Presses! Fake News and the War of 1898 explores yellow journalism and the work of famous war correspondents such as Richard Harding Davis and Frederic Remington. Grab a ride there, then enjoy coffee at Oxford Exchange. Ready for a walk? Cross the bridge and jump on the Riverwalk for a stroll...or a stride to Armature Works for a varied food selection.
- Sparkman Wharf is near the aquarium and the cruise terminals. Find light food, casual shopping, people watching, and outdoor music on Friday and Saturday nights. Restaurants operate from shipping containers and a beer garden has a nice selection. Want to strike with some upscale bowling? Splitsville has bowling, ping pong, billiards, and food to include their popular fried chicken.
- Dessert, sangria, Cuban coffee, and cigars…. Columbia, the oldest restaurant in Florida, is a noted Spanish restaurant where you will want to try the bread pudding or the churros served with warm chocolate, caramel, and guava. It is located in the eclectic Ybor City reached by the free trolley from downtown. As with all large cities, do not explore the area after dark or alone.
- Amalie Arena is home to the 2020 Stanley Cup champs. The Smashing Pumpkins perform in the Amalie Arena Friday, October 7; it's hockey time for Tampa Lightning Saturday, October 8. Go Bolts!
- International Plaza About 10 minutes from the hotel, this mall offers a wide range of retailers, along with an outdoor eating area at all price points, from Rocco's Tacos, The Cheesecake Factory, to Ocean Prime. The West Shore Plaza shopping complex is also about 10 minutes from the hotel. It may be faster and cost less to grab a bite at West Shore Plaza than the larger International Plaza.
- Walk or bike along the trail from hotel. Notice tall brown Waterford Building housing Mutual of Omaha AND a small 2nd floor cafe with some original art. Order ahead or eat amidst the office workers (8a-2p; closed weekends) . Fresh and inexpensive. It gets busy during lunch, so order ahead.
- Salvadore Dali Museum in St. Petersburg is under 30 minutes from the hotel. Make a timed ticket reservation. Download the free Dalí Museum App from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play. Visit the first floor gift shop and Café Gala without a ticket. The cafe is both an educational and culinary experience by introducing Spanish food and history with indoor seating or garden seating. (The stuffed poached pear is devine.)
- Raymond James Stadium, home of Super Bowl champs, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Buccaneers host the Kansas City Chiefs October 2, 2022 and the Atlanta Falcons October 9, 2022.
- Is golf your game? For a drive near 30 minutes, TPC Tampa Bay offers tee times and PGA instructors.
- For a drive under about 40 minutes, consider Busch Gardens, , or St. Pete Beach--Tripadvisor's #1 America's Top 25 Beaches for 2021. Snapper's Sea Grill at St. Pete's Beach is delicious!
- For a drive over an hour, visit historic Tarpon Springs and learn of the Greek sponge diving tradition. Be sure to visit Hella's Restaurant and Bakery. Opa! Trips to the Orlando area, with Disney World and Universal Studios can be arranged via bus companies that typically offer reasonably prices. Note: These transit companies have ever-evolving schedules. (AAA may offer discounted admission tickets.)
Learn about free delivery with Grubhub. Doordash offers specials. Uber Eats offers a variety of delivery services including grocery, pharmacy, and office supplies. Deliver to: Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, 2900 Bayport Dr, Tampa, FL 33607. Meet the driver in the lobby; delivery is not permitted to your room.
Visit Tampa Bay offers Michelin restaurant descriptions.
Restaurants can be very busy throughout the Tampa area. Reservations are encouraged.
You will have fun joining us in Tampa for the 87th Annual International Conference to reconnect and reengage!