This award was offered 2014-2017. It was not offered in 2018.
The ABC/Pearson Award for Teaching with Technology recognizes innovative uses of technology to enhance learning and engagement in business communication classrooms.
Pearson Education, Inc., sponsors the award and will present the winner at the annual ABC international conference.
The winner will receive free registration to the ABC annual international conference (for the year following), travel support up to $1000 USD cash, and a check for $1500 USD cash. Pearson will collect the travel receipts and provide payment. In addition, the recipient will receive a year’s membership in ABC. In return, the recipient will present his or her innovative ideas at the following year’s conference plenary session.
The award is chosen by the Teaching Committee (in consultation with Pearson Learning). Candidates for this award must meet the following criteria:
- Teach business communication at the community college or college level.
- Demonstrate successful integration of new technologies in the business communication classroom (e.g., increases student engagement with technology, uses of social media, ways to improve student learning using the flipped classroom strategies, and similar topics.).
- Demonstrate teaching excellence, using student evaluations, peer observations, and a support letter from department chair/other administrators as evidence.
Applicants are ineligible if they are
- Members of the ABC Teaching Committee
- Prior award winners
- Employees of Pearson Education, Inc. and their families
- Pearson authors
- Current or past ABC officers or directors
Nominations may be made by any member of the Association. The award recipient is selected by the Teaching Committee (in consultation with Pearson Learning).
Applicants do not have to be ABC members, but we encourage all members to consider this wonderful opportunity.
Nomination letters, either by post or email attachment, are due to the Teaching Committee's Pearson award subcommittee chair by June 30. Completed application packets are due by July 5.
The application packet is due to the chair of the Teaching Committee's Pearson award subcommittee chair by July 5. It should be a portfolio (either PDF or electronic—online) and include the following:
- Examples of syllabi/Web materials that reflect innovative practices focusing on digital technologies
- Statement by nominee detailing innovative techniques and teaching philosophy
- Professional development/contributions related to pedagogy and technology
- Support letters from students, peers, administrators
If submitting a PDF portfolio, the page limit is 30 pages; an ePortfolio is a viable option. If the applicant chooses the ePortfolio option, the cover letter/statement must include both the URL and clear directions about which portions of the ePortfolio to focus on (to maintain a page/screen limit equivalent to the PDF version).
The Teaching Committee's Pearson award subcommittee chair will acknowledge receipt of the nomination via email to the nominator and nominee.
Evaluation and Notification Process
The Teaching Committee members will independently review the credentials of each nominee and determine a winner. Once the winner is selected, the Pearson Award Subcommittee chair will share this information with ABC’s Executive Director. The subcommittee chair will notify the winner July 31 and direct them to contact ABC HQ to coordinate travel arrangements and registration.
Pearson Award Subcommittee Chair
Lydia Musher, Rice University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Winners of the Pearson Award for Innovation in Teaching with Technology
- 2017: Clive Muir, Stephen F. Austin State University
- 2016: Katherine Castle, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- 2015: Alisa Agozzino, Ohio Northern University
- 2014: Abram Anders, University of Minnesota Duluth