The Distinguished Publication on Business Communication award recognizes an outstanding article, essay, or book that has made a significant contribution to the discipline and was authored/edited by a member of the Association.
The award recipient(s) receives a plaque, one-year full membership in the Association, and a monetary award of $500 USD contributed by Board-approved sponsor(s). By existing agreement, the Association for Business Communication permits the sponsor(s) to publicize the name(s) of the awardee(s) in advertising. This award is sponsored by the Association.
The Award for Distinguished Publication on Business Communication is awarded to the author(s) of an article, essay, or book which meets the following criteria:
- At least one of the author(s) must be an ABC member. If no author of the nominated work is a member of ABC, then the author(s) will be given the opportunity to join ABC as part of the nomination process. The nomination will be considered incomplete until at least one author is a member of ABC.
- Contributes significantly to scholarship, research, and/or pedagogy. Textbooks are not candidates for this award.
- Demonstrates originality of thought and careful investigation.
- Is extremely well written, lucid, and engaging.
- Has been published in the calendar year preceding the annual conference at which the award will be presented.
Authors are not eligible to receive this award two years in a row.
A call for Nominations is sent to ABC members for recommendations. The ABC Publications Board selects the recipient of the award.
Submit your nominations to the Publications Board Chair via this survey. Please include complete publication information and a one-or-two paragraph rationale for the nomination. For self-nominations, include your photograph, names and email addresses for dean, department chair, and press release contacts.
Nominations must be received by June 15.
The award winner will be notified approximately 90 days before the annual conference.
The award was renamed in 2019; it was renamed and broadened in 2022.