The Rising Star Award recognizes the meaningful contributions to the mission and membership of the Association and to the field at large through excellent teaching, research, and/or practical applications (e.g., consulting, training). This award is intended for members who have been active in the Association for no more than 10 years and who are currently in good standing.
The award recipient will be recognized at the annual conference with a plaque and a monetary award. This award is sponsored by Sage Publishing.
The criteria for ABC members eligible for the ABC Rising Star Award follow:
- Active membership in ABC for no more than 10 years.
- Evidence of significant contributions to the mission of ABC through service to the Association.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, research, and/or public practice.
- Evidence of commitment to growing with the Association in the future.
Nominations are solicited annually by the Graduate Studies Committee. To be considered for this award, the following documents should be submitted in one or two PDF files to the chair of the Graduate Studies Committee, who will forward them to the Nominating Committee.
- Letter of nomination from senior ABC member (member for more than 10 years).
- Curriculum vita.
- Short narrative and portfolio highlighting evidence that the eligibility criteria have been met, including a two-three page narrative argument for why the candidate deserves the award and no more than eight supporting documents, such as syllabi, teaching evaluation summaries, bibliography of publications, etc.
Complete application packets are due to Stephen Carradini, chair of the Graduate Studies Committee (email@example.com), by 11:59 p.m. EDT June 15.
For prior candidates who are being re-nominated, a new letter of nomination is required.
The members of the Nominating Committee will review each application and choose a winner based on the Eligibility Criteria. The recipient will be announced at the annual conference.
The award winner will be notified approximately 90 days before the annual conference.
Rising Star Award Winners
- 2017: Valerie Creelman, Saint Mary's University
- 2016: Abram Anders, University of Minnesota Duluth
- 2015: No winner
- 2014: Jennifer Veltsos, Minnesota State University, Mankato
- 2013: Rebecca Pope-Ruark, Elon University