|Position Title||Full-time Lecturer in Business Communication (MBA Program)|
|Institution||Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business (Rice Business), Rice University|
|Position Start Date||June 1, 2018|
|Salary Range||Salary commensurate with experience|
|Job Description||Lecturers in business communication at Rice Business instruct undergraduate, master’s level, and doctoral students on the theory and practice of strategic business communication. Topics taught include communication strategy and structure, oral presentations, business writing, interpersonal communication, conflict communication, crisis communication, intercultural communication, and other related topics.
The candidate hired will teach MBA students in the Professional Evening and Weekend programs. Candidates should apply only if they are able and willing to teach and advise regularly on evenings, weekends and occasional weekdays, in accordance with the Professional Program schedule. Due to this teaching schedule, the candidate hired will have some schedule flexibility during the traditional 8am-5pm workday.
Lecturers in business communication must be able to prepare lesson plans; develop teaching materials; deliver effective lectures; conduct dynamic case and other classroom discussions; use innovative teaching techniques, including online and experiential techniques; provide timely and actionable student feedback; and serve the communication interests of a diverse student body. The communication faculty embraces the philosophy of continuous improvement. Faculty members are expected to update their materials and pedagogical techniques on a regular basis, constantly striving for excellence. Faculty members are also expected to integrate new online teaching tools.
All faculty members must participate in faculty meetings and some student admission and other Rice Business events.
Rice University Standard of Collaborative Behavior
The candidate hired must be able to work productively and cooperatively with other communication instructors and Rice Business faculty. Communication faculty members actively support one another, assisting with other courses upon request.
The candidate hired must be able to serve as a positive representative of the University and Rice Business, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration, and discretion in all interactions with students, other members of the Rice community, and the public.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring additional sponsorship.
|Academic Qualifications||Education Required
Masters Degree (or higher) in Communication, English, Journalism, Business, Marketing/Public Relations, or another discipline/degree program in which communication is a primary academic focus. Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Doctorate in one of the fields listed above.
|Experience Requirements||Experience Required
- At least five years of business experience where communication was a key component of the candidate’s job.
- At least two years of experience teaching business communication or a communication-related topic at the undergraduate or graduate level, or in a corporate setting.
Other Skills Required
- Outstanding teaching skills and a commitment to teaching excellence, as evidenced by strong teaching or training assessments.
- Organizational skills including attention to detail, time management, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Management skills with the ability to delegate and supervise.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, including superior presentation skills.
- Mature, sound judgment with the ability to manage multiple priorities and last-minute changes.
- Good working knowledge of personal computers and familiarity with online learning management systems.
|Application Deadline||Closing Date: Applicant review will begin 30 days after posting, and the position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply by January 31, 2018.|
|Application Process||Apply at https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/12329|
|Contact Person||All applications should be through Rice University Job Site|