The Student Awards Committee is pleased to announce the winners of the 10th annual ABC Writing Contest:
- 1st place: Kristen Brews, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (Michael Meredith, Instructor)
1st Place Winning Entry
- 2nd Place: Christina Sukhu, Washington University (Sharon Cannon, Instructor)
- 3rd Place: Jesse Furukawa, Temple University (Jessica Renaud, Instructor)
As a 1st place winner, Kristen Brews will receive $300; as 2nd place winner, Christina Sukhu will receive $200; and as 3rd place winner, Jesse Furukawa will receive $100.
The contest was open to undergraduate business students who worked independently to write a response to this year’s case and whose entries were submitted by their instructors. Entrants responded to the case with a one-page memo to update and enforce a sexual harassment policy.
The selection process was a rigorous one. All student entries were coded so members of the ABC Student Competition Committee, who served as the initial readers, would not know the identity of the student authors, instructors, or schools. The top five entries were then given to business professionals who read and ranked the entries and chose the contest winners. All readers used a holistic scale similar to that used for the GMAT to rank entries.
ABC Student Awards Committee for 2012
- Traci Austin
- Ann Wilson
- Katie O’Neill
- Fiona Barnes
- Kris Pickering
- Cindy Drexel
- William Sharbrough
- Slavica Kodish
Professional Judges for the Writing Contest for 2012
- Sunni Goodman, Communications Manager, Mattress Firm, Texas
- Neelam Sharma, RockTenn, Norcross, GA
- Tami Moore, Owner, Moore Construction
- Randall Wells, Database Administrator, United Healthcare, Nevada
The ABC Student Awards Committee thanks everyone who promoted the contest, who encouraged students to submit their work, who read and evaluated entries, or who helped in other ways to make this year’s contest a success! Thank you!