The Student Awards Committee is pleased to announce the winners of the 9th annual ABC Writing Contest:
- 1st place: Andrew Burnett, University of Southern California; Sponsor: Jolanta Aritz
1st Place Winning Entry
- 2nd place: Andrew Hess, Philadelphia Biblical University; Sponsor: Gail Benchener
- 3rd place: Suzanne Peckham, University of Tennessee at Martin
As a 1st place winner, Andrew Burnett will receive $300; as 2nd place winner, Andrew Hess will receive $200; and as 3rd place winner, Suzanne Peckham will receive $100.
The contest was open to undergraduate business students who worked independently to write a response to this year’s case and whose entries were submitted by their instructors. Entrants responded to the case with a one-page memo to update and enforce a sexual harassment policy.
The selection process was a rigorous one. All student entries were coded so members of the ABC Student Competition Committee, who served as the initial readers, would not know the identity of the student authors, instructors, or schools. The top five entries were then given to business professionals who read and ranked the entries and chose the contest winners. All readers used a holistic scale similar to that used for the GMAT to rank entries.
ABC Student Awards Committee for 2011
- Traci Austin
- Cindy Drexel
- Slavica Kodish
- Deborah Roebuck
- Kristin Pickering
- William Sharbrough
- Ann Wilson
Businessperson Judges for the Writing Contest for 2011
- Sunni Goodman, Communications Manager, Mattress Firm, Texas
- J. Michael Mooney, Chairman, MLG, Wisconsin
- Tami Moore, Owner, Moore Construction
- Randall Wells, Database Administrator, United Healthcare, Nevada
The ABC Student Awards Committee thanks everyone who promoted the contest, who encouraged students to submit their work, who read and evaluated entries, or who helped in other ways to make this year’s contest a success! Thank you!