The ABC Award for Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation on Business Communication is awarded annually to the outstanding dissertation or thesis in the area of business communication written as part of a doctoral program.
The winning researcher will receive a plaque and a monetary award at the ABC annual conference in October or November of each year. In addition, the award winner will be encouraged to submit an article based on the dissertation to one of the Association’s journals – the International Journal of Business Communication or the Business and Professional Communication Quarterly. The winner will also receive a one-year membership in ABC.
The following criteria must be met for eligibility for the Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award:
- Contributes significantly to scholarship, research, and/or pedagogy of business communication.
- Demonstrates originality of thought and careful investigation.
- Uses an accepted research technique for business communication research.
- Is successfully defended within the two years preceding the annual convention at which the award is presented. (For example, dissertations eligible for the 2017 award are those defended successfully in 2015, 2016, or up to June 15 of 2017.)
Entries may be nominated by the researcher or by a nominator. Nomination letters must be received by the chair of the ABC Research Committee by June 15. Nominations must include:
- A letter of nomination from a faculty member on the doctoral dissertation committee or from the degree granting institution showing how the publication meets the award criteria.
- An electronic copy of a synopsis of the doctoral dissertation (no more than 20 pages in length).
Finalists for the award will be asked to submit one complete copy of the dissertation.
Please send the following:
- A nomination letter from one or more faculty members on the doctoral dissertation committee describing the dissertation and showing how it meets the award criteria
- The nominee’s detailed curriculum vitae
- A copy of the dissertation in PDF or Word format
Email these materials by June 15 to:
Sky Marsen, Research Committee Chair
The award winner will be notified approximately 90 days before the annual conference.